Ambassadors for Brass

What a treat I had tonight

My band - Oughtibridge went to play in a concert at a local Senior
school All Saints.
 The program was some items by each of :-
All Saints Wind band
Abbey lane Junior Choir
Oughtibridge Junior band
Oughtibridge Senior Band

As you can imagine I was looking forward to a pleasant but not
outstanding musical evening.

Well - not only was All Saints Wind Band of a much better standard than
I has expected but it was conducted by Michael Dodd - the solo Euphonium
player from Grimesthorpe.
He played a solo - my Grandfathers Clock  which was absolutely amazing.
I didn't think anyone could play so fast and with such control.
A bigger and more unexpected treat came in the second half. At the break
our conductor David Moore (who has also played solo Euphonium for
Grimesthorpe) and Michael Dodd decided to play 'Softly As I leave You'
as a Duet in the second half and gave it a quick run through in the
break. It was mysteriously in our Pads but not in the program.
They played it in the second half - what a wonderful sound!!
The audience gave them rapturous applause evidently realising that they
had just heard something rather special.
My only regret was that I could give neither performance my full
attention as I was sat at the back trying to play my part.

I think it is wonderful when such great players are prepared to share
their talents at such an event and for no remuneration and surely makes
these players true Ambassadors for Brass bands.

Hilary Mateer

EEb Bass - Oughtibridge Brass Band

Hilary@xxxxxxxxxxxx