Re: National Finals

Kirsty McCafferty wrote:

>  Do you really want to inhibit these composers'
> creativity by asking them not to include really expensive instruments in
> their music?

    I don't know, many of the great composers wrote for what they had at hand.
Bach was always very short of resources, and managed to turn out some convincing
stuff.  I thought that was part of the challange writing for a certain type of
group work within its parameters.  Surely the composer called upon to write a
test piece in a string quartet contest wouldn't write a contrabasoon part, even
though some string quartet could lay one on.  As well, as I (an admitted
outsider to brass playing), understand it, banding includes among its adhearants
many small bands with limited resources and always has.  Either that must be
taken into account by whoever organises contests, or you need to resort to the
same sort of system that exists in English Football, and establish a
Premiership.  And, 10,000 Pounds is US$15,000, and still a lot of money.

Robin

--
Robin L. Oye
29 Bumbletown Road

SEND MAIL TO:
PO Box 392
Hancock, MI 49930-0392
USA/EUA

Paula M. Oye & Robin L. Oye, Writers, Editors, Researchers
http://www.thescribes.com

ARE YOU A FREELANCE WRITER?
Then you should be a member of the NATIONAL WRITERS UNION!
The only labor union committed to improving the economic and working
conditions of all freelance writers. For more information visit our web site
<http://www.nwu.org>, call (212) 254-0279, or email <nwu@xxxxxxx>.

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. Matthew 6:34 (KJV)