does appearence matter (really?)

hi guys and gals

in my practicing to be a student in september i have taken up a few sacred
rituals e.g drinking,  lazing about ,etc and i have changed my appearence,
now as i am going to be doing a music degree in huddersfield i will
obviously be looking for a 1st /champ band to play with BUT i am wondering
whether having strange coloured hair (purple and pink)may affect my chances
i know this may seem like a silly question but i know most bands emphasise
on being smartly turned out for concerts etc
so does anyone out there have any comments (no sarcastic comments please i
am actually really worried about this and may have to resort to wearing a
wig or summat )
cheers
lil jem