Re: Does your Conductor get paid?

Matt,
I can see this is going to open a whole can of worms!
I conduct a 3rd section band and have done for the last 4 years. I
do get paid a small monthly honorarium of stg75 which covers all
expenses. I have to pay all travel costs, hotels, excursions etc
when we are on tour, and I wouldn't expect the band to pay that for
me.
We do two, (soon to be one) rehearsals a week, plus concerts /
contests, in addition to this I spend most of my free time writing
and arranging music for the band as we are not at full strength so
normal arrangements at best usually need some adaptation.
I do conduct the band as a hobby, and it is an important part of my
social life. In an ideal world, I would be able to afford to do what I do
without needing to accept any expenses from the band -
unfortunately I'm not currently in a position to be able to do that so
I accept what the band offer me. I stress that is what the band offer
me - not what I have demanded.
I have a music degree and I do a lot of teaching, conducting (other
ensembles (for which I also receive a small honorarium)), a little
adjudication and a fair amount of composing, so I like to think I
work as a professional (or at least, semi-pro) musician, and as
such I am happy to accept what a band will offer me for my
services as musical consultant. I don't think that the best
conductors necessarily have a music degree - I know several
conductors more talented than me who left school at 14 and
haven't opened a book since, let alone go to uni - but I do think that
a music degree gives a wider range of experience that can be
brought to the brass band world to the benefit of the band.
Good luck in finding a new conductor - there are obviously people
out there who don't get paid for what they do and I hope that your
band will be lucky enough to find one of these philanthropists!!
Best wishes
Dave