Re: Saving of Private Ryan - a tangent.

  ....I found the film to be full of American propaganda and in effect
just another war film...

  Here's the conundrum Raymond.  Hollywood has the budget, they make
their films to tell their stories in the way they think that their
market (the enormous US public) wants to see it.
  They have the monopoly, so unless you've got a major film to compete
with this market, we'll just have to put up with "the world according to
Hollywood", or go to an art house to see what the rest of the world is
producing.

  Yes that is certainly true!  I find it quite disturbing how history
can be rewitten with such scant regard for the truth.

  I thought the film was a powerful and disturbing portrayal of the
atrocities of war, far from the traditional rosy "John-Wayne saves all -
just another war film" type production.

  The scenes taken from the helicopter flying low over the cemitary was
for me the most moving part of the film and fitted beautifully with the
music, for those who bothered to stay in their seats to the end of the
very long credits that was for me when the music of John Williams really
worked.  With regard to the film and the 'action' shots, yes the opening
battle scenes were powerful but I thought that it lost it's way very
early on and then just became another 'John Wayne saves all production'.

  John Farmer
  Dayspring Brass Ensemble.