Re: re:does your conductor get paid

>Surely, however well qualified you are, if you can't get the band moving
>emotionally as well as musically you are not a successful conductor.

This seems to be a response to my glib remark of the other day. In fact, I
broadly agree with the statement above. Some of my BMus colleagues couldn't
be trusted to conduct a 36 bus...actually on leaving college one did just
that! Musical qualifications are not necessarily an indication of
musicianship. Musicianship is largely an in-born quality and partly
developed by experience and circumstances. Similarly, the staying power and
personality required  to direct a band are qualities that can't be taught.

I responded in the way I did because I detected a tone of derision towards
people who have taken the trouble to study and generally broaden their
musical horizons outside of the rather insular world of the brass band. The
most successful conductors, from Harry Mortimer onwards, have fallen into
this category and have largely shaped the movement's progress.
Shouldn't we encourage players and conductors to be as widely qualified and
as broadly experienced as possible, or does that somehow threaten the
equilibrium of the brass band world?

Andy.