Fwd: Re: Govan Band excels in Mississauga

Sorry if this is sent more than once, but I am eager to get my point of view across, and I for one haven't received it back yet

Matt

Subject: Re: Govan Band excels in Mississauga
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Matthew Robbins <mrobbins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Oct 2000 16:26:39 GMT

To all, particularly "Honey Bear"

I'm sorry about responding to this on-list but I was sort of hoping for some kind of agreement that the original message was unwarranted, and, in addition some people on the list may be able to help me out.

On Tue, 10 October 2000, "Honey Bear" wrote:

> If you were excommunicated how come you're able to post?
1. Oh, you seem to have omitted to mention that I used the word "nearly" - perhaps that would explain how I am still able to post.

> "Inadvertent"? I doubt it.
2. I hope Nigel can back me up on the situation here, if he remembers it - it came up about 6 weeks ago, when someone who had joined the list but hadn't the received final confirmation asked me (and other people on the "Positions Wanted" list can back me up on this please) to forward an advert for said number plate. Me being the helpful at heart (please ask Lloyd Hiscock about the email I sent him off list over the weekend for a character reference) but occasionally mindnumbingly stupid person that I am just sent it on to the list without thinking, receiving a mild rebuke for flouting Rule 17. (Excommunicated was an exaggeration, and, given the fact that it's formal meaning is to be expelled from the church, I'd have thought that was obvious)

> This list is about music not your money making scams.
3. Which weren't mine, as I have detailed above

Having your wrists
> slapped (in private I suspect seeing as that's how netiquette says it should
> be done and I don't recall seeing a public flogging)
4.  anyone else see the ironic/hypocritical nature of this comment? Or does having both an email address and associated handle which doesn't identify the sender count as in private? (IMO it counts as cowardliness)

was correct. Take it
> like a man (sorry "person"!) and stop trying to make money on the back of
> Nigel's time, effort and telephone bill.
See 3, above.

> Stop trying to provoke a discussion as a result of sour grapes so that you
> can get people to say that you should be able to spam the list. Start a
> discussion on MUSIC!

I get a little bit lost through this last bit, which appears to be accusing me of not making relevant posts to the list as well as bitchy/light hearted ones, but I understand the last statement, so I shall start one.
Does anyone on the list know of a decent full band piece based on Pachelbel's Canon (Formerly the theme for the British Wool advert)? I know there is at least one arrangement of it about, but it proves frustrating for Bass players (in particular) who have the same two bar phrase throughout. I am thinking more in terms of a fantasy.

Thank you all,

Matt