Range

Hi, I'm new to the mailing list so please rebuke me if I do 'ought wrong.

Let me postulate a theory for discussion: that the range one can attain on a
brass instrument is related to the range of your voice.

Now before you ridicule me just try this simple experiment. Try whistling a
tune and then try singing the same tune. If you can whistle the tune then I
think you'll find that you can sing the tune, albeit a couple of octaves
higher or lower (excluding falsetto). Likewise, any (relative) pitch that
you can't whistle, you won't be able to sing. Try whistling and singing to
loads of songs/tunes and you'll probably find that your whistling range and
your singing range are the same, even if you sing at a higher or lower
octave. Why should this be? Does whistling use your vocal chords in some
way? The frequency of your whistle is proportional to the distance of the
tip of you tongue from the orifice you make with your lips. The frequency of
your voice depends on you vocal chords. These two methods of sound
production don't seem related, but from the above experiment they apparently
are.

Could the same apply to the sound production on a brass instrument? Although
the frequency of a note is that generated by the lips in the mouthpiece, is
it possible that there are more factors in this equation?

Is this too technical?

Your answers please.

Dave Gosling.
Systems Engineering