4th Section Regional Test Piece 2001

Dear Mr Hindmarsh

Thank you for replying to my posting on the bandsman mailgroup.

On reading my own question I agree that in trying to be succinct I have
ended up with egg on my face!  I don't think I would personally say ANY
piece was *too easy*.  It would have been better to ask "is it the right
piece to find the best 4th Section band in each Region".  Doing well at the
Regionals is a high priority for all bands hoping to be promoted or worrying
about demotion, and so I feel that, in order to be fair, the music chosen
should test the bands in every aspect and thereby make it easier for the
adjudicator to draw a distinction between them.  If it is enjoyable, both to
the player and to the listener, so much the better.

I also want to correct any impression I may have given that I was
criticising Henry Geehl's work.  He was a very accomplished musician in many
fields, and the BB movement should be proud to have held his interest.  He
lived and died close to where I live and, although I never met him, I've
heard much about him locally.

I agree with you that a band needs certain skills to play the piece
properly.  You mention refinement of tone, intonation and phrasing as
important skills to be tested.  I would also add balance, *togetherness* and
interpretation.  From this point of view "Sinfonietta Pastorale" is
certainly a challenge.  However, this is surely only part of the whole
picture.  There would be plenty of comment (and probably some strange
contest results) if the Championship Section were given a piece which did
not put their complete range of skills to the test.

I also agree that there is a vast amount of interesting music in the "back
catalogue" and I applaud the panel's decision to delve into it.  I am not
sure whether one would class "Sinfonietta Pastorale" as an
important/historic item in the Brass Band repertoire, but I believe it was
used as the 3rd Section National Test Piece in 1947 and also in 1953, so it
is not entirely obscure.  I do feel, though, that there are plenty more
challenging and enjoyable pieces in the "yellow paper" category and for this
reason I find the choice a little disappointing.  But then, I am certainly
not claiming to know better than the panel!

My thanks to you once again for your reply, and also to the whole panel for
the work you put into choosing the pieces this year.  I appreciate it must
be a difficult task.

Peter Taylor