Re: Valved Trombone

I beg to differ with you Keith.  Not true.  I often write "valve trombone" on a
baritone part when I want the sound of 4 trombones. You can not mix a euphonium
in with trombones and expect to get a true trombone section sound. A very famous
band called the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Big Band (New York City) had a lead
trombone player that played valve trombone.  His name is Bobby Brookmeyer.  Ever
heard of him? Listen to the recordings.  Although, I do prefer that the first
player does not use a valve trombone because you do lose some of the slide
nuances, but sandwiched into the section it can work really well. Please do not
tell me that you can not do this in a brass band.  I have done it numerous times
and with great success. Now finding a baritone player with a valve trombone,
that's another story.

Mark Freeh
(New York City)