Re: F&%$#* Horns

Just to add to this thread, The Brass Band of Battle Creek, a fully
professional band, use tenor/alto horns. Their setup is similar to the
contesting bands but they use 5 trombones not 3, a good move in my opinion.
They also use cornets although I suspect all the players are trumpet players
who mistakenly try to make their cornets sound like trumpets, the biggest
deficiency of this band in my humble opinion.

 In  Weston Silver Band  we currently have a number of University of  Toronto
music students or grads who all have a very consistent open and easy flowing
sound on their cornets despite having grown up as trumpet players so it can be
done. Phil Smith, principal trumpet of the New York Philharmonic spent his
early years on cornet which possibly, along with his father's early teaching,
is a big reason for his wonderful flowing trumpet style. A good player should
be able to play trumpet, cornet and flugal with equal facility, putting the
air in the horn in a manner which allows the natural sound of the instrument
to be heard with all the obvious differences. As Graham says, in a brass band
the cornet is the best blend for the sax horn family which predominates.
Trombone players of course with their superior musicianship are able to blend
in a skillful and artistic manner with whatever is going on.

Just another voice in a never ending discussion. Not a criticism Eileen, just
a comment.

Dave Buckley.