Re: F&%$#* Horns

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 at 05:38:25 +0000, Kees & Michelle Dogger wrote:

> I'm sorry but I find your language quite offensive. As a Horn player, I
> appreciate that the Horn ( yes, I mean a French Horn ) timbre may not fit
> well in a BB setting but to denegrate another brass instrument and it's
> performers from around the world because of your bias and ignorance is just
> plain rude and dumb.

It's rather curious, too. I sense that writers like this feel somehow
threatened.

There are good reasons why the horn never made it into the brass band
world; probably the fact that it is more difficult to play at an
elementary level is an important one of them.

But, given that trombones are admitted, it seems a pity that the extra
sound textures resulting from the horn's use aren't available to band
arrangers.

But, having said all that, it's enormously useful to have a large
repertoire for a standardised instrumentation, so I wouldn't propose
adding anything to the band for contesting purposes. I fact, taking away
the carte-blanche for additional percussion instruments might be an
improvement.

Ian