Re: F&%$#* Horns

I'll toss a quick thought in on this one (rehashed from a similar
thread over a year ago)
I was/am a French horn player (principal) in our civic symphony when
Pete Cooper founded the Las Vegas Brass Band. There were NO tenor
horns available and certainly no tenor horn players out in our vast
desert.  We struggled along for nearly 2 years playing F horns and
trying to make sense of it. I nearly quit in frustration. It did not
balance well within OR against the rest of the ensemble. It did not
blend with the other Ebs. Some of the passages and voicing were BADLY
ill-suited for the orchestral cousin. We finally gathered some very
marginal tenors together and made the switch-over. Since I already
played trumpet, the technical part wasn't a big jump. The effect on
the ensemble and on my ability to connect with it were astounding.
I'd liken it to the difference between sunlight and twilight. I'd
laugh at the thought of trying to use either of these beautiful
instruments in an ensemble for which they are inherently unsuited. It
has taken centuries/decades for both orchestras and brass bands to
develop. IMHO they're both @%#$@#-near perfect!

Ed Carroll
Tenor Horn
Las Vegas British Brass Band