Re: French Horns

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 at 05:38:25 +0000, Kees & Michelle Dogger wrote:

> But, having said all that, it's enormously useful to have a large
> repertoire for a standardised instrumentation, so I wouldn't propose
> adding anything to the band for contesting purposes.

I assume you mean by this that there wouldn't be much music for brass band
that was written with French horns. Well a simple answer would be to let
them transpose. Then the whole repertoire would be available.

As a tenor horn player at Loughborough Uni, I have had to resort to playing
with the concert band and orchestra. Whilst the concert band parts are often
in Eb, I frequently have to transpose an F part, and in orchestra I suddenly
found that I was transposing from A, D, E, and G!  It is also true that
French horns in an orchestra must transpose from the same keys (strikes me
that Beethoven couldn't be bothered to transpose all his parts!), and thus
to transpose from Eb would be a simple matter for them.

Now I'm sure that the LSO would balk equal as much if the tenor horn were
permitted to play as a regular member of the orchestra. However, the musical
situation in Loughborough means it's Hobson's Choice: there are no other
horns of any description. Would it not be permissible in the band world,
were a similar situation occur, to allow French horns to play?

If you're not managing to read between the lines; then if you're considering
university and you are reasonably serious about music then Loughborough is
not the place for you. I have served a four year prison sentence!

Dave Gosling
Systems Engineering,
Loughborough University