Re: French Horns

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 at 05:38:26 +0000, David Gosling wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 at 05:38:25 +0000, Kees & Michelle Dogger wrote:
>
> > But, having said all that, it's enormously useful to have a large
> > repertoire for a standardised instrumentation, so I wouldn't propose
> > adding anything to the band for contesting purposes.
>
> I assume you mean by this that there wouldn't be much music for brass band
> that was written with French horns. Well a simple answer would be to let
> them transpose. Then the whole repertoire would be available.

Well, no. I do play both (French) horn and BBb bass. Last night I played
my horn and for the majority of the time was playing off Eb parts.
Transposition isn't an issue - and indeed most horn players play much of
their repertoire on the Bb side anyway while reading in Eb or whatever.

But you mistake my views on horns in brass bands: they and tenor
saxhorns are different instruments, and you cannot just substitute one
for the other without upsetting the tonal balance.

I was putting forward a case for and against an ensemble consisting of a
current brass band with additional french horns. For: greater tone
colours available to arranger. Against: little work for the horn players
to do unless you re-arrange lots of things. Re-arrangements would have
to be handled with great care since, like the trombones, the horns would
not blend with the saxhorn chorus.

> horns of any description. Would it not be permissible in the band world,
> were a similar situation occur, to allow French horns to play?

If you're running a concert, it depends on your audience. If you're
entering a brass band contest, you need to go in with a brass band. I
you have french horn players who are good enough to cover tenor horn
parts (don't forget that a top C on a tenor horn is a super-G on the Bb
French horn).

BTW: For those not familiar with the orchestral instrument: a
conventional "double" horn is the same pitch as, but a much smaller bore
and mouthpiece than, a euphonium. The four valves also operate in the
same way.  The player is expected to get up to super-G as a matter of
routine, though: hence the relative insecurity of the instrument.

Ian