Music at University

Dave Gosling wrote...

If you're not managing to read between the lines; then if you're considering
university and you are reasonably serious about music then Loughborough is
not the place for you. I have served a four year prison sentence!

If you have a car (not as unlikely as it used to be for students!) and you
don't mind a 40 minute drive to and from band, then come to Bilton!  Our 2nd
euph is a student at Loughborough and she makes our Friday rehearsals and
many Mondays too.  Of course there will be other bands within that kind of
travelling distance.

The trouble, I think, with trying to play in a brass band (or any
non-university musical group) whilst at university is that you are only
there for about half the year, so how do you properly commit?  I couldn't
really find anywhere to play when I was at university - there was a good
band in the town, but it was several miles cycle ride away and when I wasn't
going to be able to be there half the year there was no incentive on their
part to find a proper place for me.  i ended up playing (tenor horn) in the
university wind band, transposing half the time, as you describe.  I got
reasonable at it but was never quite fast enough to do justice to the parts.

The people at Warwick University are extremely lucky having a good brass
band - they rehearse at times that fit in with their commitments and they
seem to do pretty well out of it!

Don't worry, your four years of purgatory are nearly over....
Jud