Re: Music at University

Judith Hayes wrote:

> The people at Warwick University are extremely lucky having a good brass
> band - they rehearse at times that fit in with their commitments and they
> seem to do pretty well out of it!

It is interesting to see comments on University music from brass players. I'd like to add my 2ps worth. I advise anyone playing a brass instrument other than French Horn to avoid Cardiff University like the plague... I was a student there (studying for a BMus) and left after one year because, as a Tuba player, I played in the grand total of one piece in one concert which I felt was unacceptable. This is because there is only the main orchestra and, to make everything fair, all of the playing had to be shared out between all of us with the second year student taking the lions share. The Music Department only really had space for one Tuba player at a time, but still took on three in one year!
Anyway I will stop griping and get back to real life.... As it happens, I am really quite glad I decided not to carry on the course as I am now on track to join the army as a musician in January.
Regards,
Matt the Tuba