Re: Corruption in banding

 Ian Willis wrote

 > Dear list,
 > I am sure I will offend a small minority of the list by stating this  but
 > am sure that most people agree with what I am about to say.>>

What is your basis for making this presumption?

 > The last few years that I have been involved with top banding it has
 > sometimes amazed me into how wrong some adjudicators can appear to be, the
 > clear obvious lack of preparation and work gone into a piece by one band
 can
 > put them higher up in the results than a thouroughly studied top
 > scratchpiece.>>

Which bands? Which contests?

 > I think it has become more obvious in the past 2 years with certain people
 > winning nothing then all of a sudden after a new conductor they win the
 > british open and the nationals.

Having thought long and hard about this (at least the 1 second that this
email deserves), I can only assume that this is a dig at Cory. Did the writer
hear them at the Open or the Nationals? I doubt it. I heard them at the Open
and thought they were stunning.

 > To a lot of people I think this is quite close to heart as to so many
 bands
 > it is a great dissapointment when they know that there over all
 performance
 > was bteter thean the winning/qualifying bands.>>

It is my experience that it is a "a great dissapointment" to the members of
most of the bands who lose contests, most of whom will have heard none of the
winning bands. It's difficult to compare performances from the bar.

 > I am not insisting that this is the case but it appears to me that where
 > there is money in the organisers of a band that therefore changes the
 > results of the contest to one which suits the money.
 > I know I am not alone on this theory, but surely this kind of corruption
 is
 > not ethical, and is creating a lack of motivation throughout the
 > bandingworld >>

Could it be that with sponsors money, bands can recruit better players and
conductors to add (in Cory's case) to a very solid existing base?  I think Mr
Willis should be very careful using words like corruption and ethics.
Particularly without a shred of evidence and while he's not prepared to put
his 'money where his mouth is' and name names.

Big Chap
Bedrock Brass