Re: GCSE Tenor Horn Music

When I did GCSE music (I played tenor horn) then the highest standard that
was required was a grade 5 piece. Whilst it is perfectly acceptable to play
a grade 8 piece, its better to play a grade 5 piece perfectly, than give a
mediocre rendition of a difficult piece. This applies in general, if your
son feels he can give a better performance of a grade 4 piece than take a
risk with a grade 5 piece, then go for the grade 4 piece.

Now, with respect to pieces that may be suitable, look at the Associated
Board syllabus to get lists of graded pieces. But some suggestions are,

-Mountain melody, Eric Ball (Grade 5 piece I think)

-The Swan, Saint-Saens, arranged Ronald Hanmer, studio music company (goes
up to top A on Eb horn, requires good control)

-A Classical Album of solos for Eb instruments Volume 2, selected and
arranged by Edrich Siebert, studio music company (may be a bit easy,
although
  -"O for the wings of a dove",
  -"Traumerei", (top Bb on Eb horn)
  -"Pavane" may be suitable)

Another suggestion is to perhaps do what I had to do. A year before my GCSEs
I started with a new horn tutor and restructured my embouchure. This took
some time and when it came to doing my GCSE music practical performance then
my range was quite limited (a top F, top ledger line). There wasn't a lot of
decent music that kept within this range. So I composed my own horn solo
that took account of my personal weaknesses as a player and emphasised my
strengths. It was an Air an Varie on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in proper
W. Rimmer style. Now it didn't go very high but I could double and triple
tongue for England so there was plenty of that which sounded cool. And the
added bonus if you do this is that the composition can be counted as one of
the compositions for your GCSE composition portfolio!

Hope this helps,

Dave Gosling
Systems Engineering
Loughborough University