Concert Band

I find it more difficult to compose for concert band where there is a
much
wider range of colours and far fewer possibilities to blend instrumental

sounds...

Interesting you should say that. I think of a brass band as a large
chamber group but the concert band as more like an orchestra with more
varied tone colours and less concern for some balance and blending than
the brass band since the emphasis is on variety not the blend. Somewhat
similar to an orchestra in that each choir has its own internal balance
and blend challenge but when you play you are unable to hear many of the
other things going on whereas in brass band you should be able to hear
everything. Makes a different challenge for both composer and player.

As an aside, brass band is much more interesting than concert for a
trombone player, partly because of the part and partly because of the
greater teamwork involved.

Regards.

Dave.