Re: Masters of Space and Time

David Lancaster asked if working months on contest pieces is typical of
bands in the US.

I think your answer will very fairly widely, because groups here have very
few contesting opportunities, and the amount of time they spend preparing is
related to how important the contest is to them.

I have attended NABBA for the last 3 years, and in each case the winning
band in the Championship section was pretty obvious before the judges
decisions were announced.  That was Illinois Brass Band in 98 & 00 and Brass
Band of Columbus in 99.  I think you would find that they are two of the
bands that work longest and hardest on each contest piece.

I'm wondering if the short lead time this year will serve as an equalizer
between bands, as IBB has won 4 out of the last 5 years.

Our band, Cuyahoga Valley Brass Band, might read through a contest piece as
early as October, but we have concerts throughout fall and winter to prepare
for, and we won't start really serious work till this January.

I think we need more time than you UK bands, because we typically only
rehease together once a week, and most of our members are involved in other
musical groups besides CVBB, some are even out 2 or 3 nights a week with
local symphonies, quintets etc, which makes individual preparation mor
difficult.  In addition, there is a skill to putting pieces together quickly
that we are just learning.   Actually, Keith W. is beating it into us, but
that's another matter ;o)  Because we contest only once a year, we are still
picking it up.  Remember we have only been a group for about 3 years now,
and most of us have not grown up in brass bands as you all have.  I get the
feeling that our band is continuing to develop, and I bet most US bands
would say the same thing.  Until we have the history some of you UK bands
have, and the frequency of opportunities to compete, we will probably need a
little more time with a contest piece to reach an appropriate standard.

Mary Ellen Lathrop
2nd horn
Cuyahoga Valley Brass Band