RE: Masters of Space and Time

David Writes:

> I'd enjoy the luxury of a six-month rehearsal period - but I
> suspect that we'd lose a lot of players to the asylum if we tried
it.

> Is your band typical of bands in the US is this respect?
>
> How do bands in other parts of the world relate to this?

David,

Bands in Australia and NZ tend to start looking at their contest
pieces before Christmas (where possible) for our national
championships held at Easter (a few weeks later in NZ).  The serious
rehearsals don't usually get underway until mid/late January and then
usually two per week.

Our contest format for the nationals is that on day 1 we play an own
choice hymn followed immediately by the designated test piece. The
results are kept secret.  On day 2 we play our own choice selection,
followed by a stage march.  Then the full results for both days events
are announced.  So we actually rehearse four pieces for our national
contest, not just a test piece.

Cheers,
Roy,
Principal Eupho, Greater Dandenong Band,
Melbourne, VIC, Australia.
www.centurynova.com.au/greaterdandenongband/

--
Roy Taylor		 rtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxx