RE: Music Library

I have done this already for our band. Originally I used an Amiga
database program but later had converted it to an Excel spreeadsheet
this has the benefit of being very portable. You can open an Excel
sheet in many other programs so it is easy to use.

I used the following catagories
number (preexisting in our library)
title
Arranger
Composer
The composer and arranger need to be separate. You may wish to find only
Langford arrangements
for example.

Style Description
(including historical period genre IE baroque, showtune, march etc.
 this way by searching with a key word you can pull all the music of a type.
some get listed with more than one characteristic ie latin/showtune)
Orchestration (list by either band or instrument if a solo, trio etc. )
Form- describes it as a march-hymn tune - contest piece- suite etc

If you fully describe it and are CONSISTANT- you can use simple word
searches to pull into a printable
list any desired characteristic. If you just use the word March you will get
all marches.
But if you sub code them as military, Brass band, concert etc you can pull a
list that
is very specific quickly.

I have not attached our library (181k file Excel ) but will send it to
anybody who would like an example.
please email me privately. You can copy the format as you wish, justt delete
our entries and put in your own.
WARNING this can take quite a few hours.

Graham Young
Hamilton Musicians Services
gjyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gjyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:grahamjyoung@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Celebration Brass - Weston Silver Band
Symphony Hamilton - McMaster Chamber Orchestra