Re: Mellophones

Aiden

A mellophone is in the shape of a french horn but played on the reverse side with
valves.  It generally has two crooks which enables it to be played in Eb or F.
Famous jazz artist Don Elliott won many Downbeat awards playing one.

A mellophonium is shaped somewhat like a french horn (less tubing) but it is
pointed to the front such as a flugelhorn. It was designed and invented by Stan
Kenton and Johnny Richards for Conn Instruments to be used by the Kenton band in
the early 60s.  Kenton used four and sometimes five mellophoniums. His most famous
album (now released on CD) using mellophoniums was "West Side Story" which won a
Grammy. It had a sound similar to the french horn (not quite the body of sound) It
also had  Eb and F crooks. In the States you can find them for about $100 dollars
or even less.  They are found usually in high school bandroom closets.  I believe
Gordon Higgenbottom has played and recorded on one of these. I have one on display
that is a Couesnon, made in Paris.

Intonation on both the mellophone and the mellophonium is poor.

There is also an instrument called the Marching French Horn which I believe is
still being made and may be what you are referring to.  Bugle Corps use something
simalar but are pitched in G.

I can give you further information if you want to contact me directly.

I hope this helps....

Mark Freeh
(NewYork City)