Re: 'Hard" marches Further Info

I have been lurking regarding cataloguing Music Libraries, however I feel I cannot
let this go by without mentioning the fine (and that is not descriptive enough)
work that Bandmaster William (Bill) Himes has done in the realm of The Salvation
Army Music.
He has compiled a book in a form of flexible binding, and it is updated yearly.
He has the music in alphabetical form; works done by composers; arrangers; solos;
duets; quartets; seasonal to name a few. ( I am typing by memory as my book is at
my office right now.)
It is a superb book and much used by many Sallys around the world. Of course there
are probably some ommissions as there are many various publications done by various
sections in the Army world, in that the main publishers are SP& S under the
auspices of the Music Dept in the UK.
New York has its publications, Canada has its own, and I believe some of the other
territories in the US have some as well.
However it covers very very well the mainstream of the S A music.
Another project that was done right here in Canada was done out of love by a fellow
by the name of Fred Creighton which was done on a Lotus Spreadsheet. It goes a bit
further in that all of the pieces that have been catalogued also have the actual
(hymn tune) or whatever tune that is included in a piece catalogued as well. This
is also a very comprehensive piece of art and something I have referred to many
many times.
Larry White
Vancouver BC
Canada
To all my fellow B B members around the world, may you and yours have a very Happy
and Healthy as well as prosperous New Year and as some would feel Happy New
Millenium!!
L W