Hello There

Hi Alan

I've been meaning to touch base with you for some time to inquire how it's
hanging!

I've sort of lost touch with the UK mainstream BB movement since I moved to
Utah early in 1998 therefore, I don't get much chance to see what you're up
to.  So, what're you doing?

I started a brass band in Utah a few months ago and at this time, they're
probably about British Steel Teesside standard with the occasional (but
increasing) smacking of a good Ever Ready.  It's amazing to see their faces
when I put stuff that's new to them out on the stand - actually, it's often
stuff that went out of reasonable fashion in the UK about twenty years ago.
Our challenge is acquiring music with an almost zero $ bank account balance
so, I have to buy what we can afford and borrow the rest.

The band's called Utah Premiere Brass and I'm excited to be part of it.  One
of my dreams is to break as many archaic rules in the  book and I'm
hoping to commission music from local composers (and there are plenty of
them) to write for non standard instrumentation (perhaps include extra
flugels, pic trpts, Bb trpts etc etc etc).  I'm seriously thinking of
commissioning a work (concerto type) for voice, band and violin. That'd be
quite a mix but imagine a Vannessa Mae type violinist with a great soprano
voice - hm!

NABBA is the equivalent of the NCC or whatever we have back home these days.
The USA typically only has one competition each year and it can cost in the
region of $15k to attend.  I can do a lot more with $15k than attend a
contest and this brings me nicely to the next subject!!!!!

In the future, when we get come money, would you be interested in coming
over as a guest of the band?  Many of the players are professionals (several
play or dep for the Utah Symph. - Our solo horn (Ralph Hotz) was a hornist
with San Francisco Symph) and just need some time to develop the style.
I've never known a group of musicians so dedicated and enthusiastic to the
cause and, I believe we can achieve great musical things with them.

We have an Advisory Board (led by the principal architect for the LDS
(Mormon) church). He's amazing and reckons, with his team, that he can
fairly easily collect $100k to further the cause.  Mormons are mad on their
history and at the start of the 20th century, there were over 100 brass
bands in Utah.  They were probably 12 or 15 piece outfits but all the same,
they were brass bands and now, the locals are chomping at the bit to
re-establish their heritage.  We are one of two brass bands in Utah, the
other being a South Bank standard group about 50 miles away.

Back to the plan - What if I could commission an off the track concerto that
included cornet and some other instrument?  Would you be interested in
premiering it?  It might take some time to get this going but, I like to
plan ahead - way ahead.

Have a think about it and let me know.  Utah's a wonderful place to visit
and yuor family would be made most welcome if you wanted to plan on bringing
them along.  Trust me on this one, you'd fall in love with the place.

BTW, I'm losing touch with what's coming out so far as good music is
concerned. If anythign springs to mind, please give me a heads up. We can't
afford to buy on the strength of a title at this time so your suggestions
would be appreciated and most certainly cut down on wasted money on our
part.  I'm particularly interested in good  concert openers.

Well, you've got much better things to deal with than read my diatribe so
I'll bid ya adieu for now.  How are things with your dad?  Please give him
my best regards.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Happy Days

Alan