Free Music

Although I haven't written anything new for band for a few weeks I thought that
I would like to remind folks about the scores page on the Rothwell Temperance
band web site.(www.rtb.org.uk     then click on scores. There are now eighteen
pieces on the page that range form the difficult to fairly easy. They include
Solos for Bass trombone, tenor horn, flugel horn, marimba/xylophone, cornet. As
well as pieces for band and a brass quartet. These pieces are designed on the
whole as "entertainment contest "

Although there are one or two technically challenging pieces I am more
interested as a composer in pieces which are musically challenging than in ones
which are difficult for their own sake. In other words the technical challenges
are their to serve a musical point rather than for any other reason and the real
challenge is to musicianship rather than raw technique.

That being said there is a very wide range of styles of music on the page.

Each piece is available as a midi file for a quick download to see if you like
the sound of the piece enouigh to download the printed music in one of the other
files. If you have Sibelius the 1.3 download is far quicker than the other
formats. If you don't you will need either Adobe Acrobat or better still
Ghostwriter. Tim Sawyer, for whose hard work on this project I am very grateful,
has put instructions at the bottom of the scores page on how to open the files
in case there others like myself who are better with music than with computers.

YES these pieces really are free. All I ask is that people drop me a line to say
that they are using them. There are certain rights which are restricted and if
any one evr makes a one off recording I'd love a copy of it as I have not yet
heard any of these pieces live as there are no bands in the area in which I
live but there is absolutely no catch they are not shareware pieces they are
free!.

For thos who have downloaded and played my music I do hope to get down to
writing some more in the not too distant future but I am bogged down with things
that I have to write at the moment so there is very little time to write what I
want towrite.