Re: FOUR WEEK RULING

Dear Contest Secretaries

Having had the onerous task of trying to secure multiple persussion players,
the odd bass and back row cornet players for these important contests, the
Four Week Rule became an infamous quote in our bandroom.  Funnily enough it
did so every year at the same time, and in fact before most contests that
imposed these rules.  The MD would get frustrated that he had 'depped'
players who we could not get signed in time, the band would get frustrated
at poeple being drafted in at the last minute to sit one place higher up
than they have for the last five years, but every concert it didn't matter.

If, as a couple of the replys have stated (opposing the 4 week rule, I might
add), banding is for fun, personal enjoyment, team spirit etc then why do
bands have to have the best players for contests, only to see them go on to
another band afterwards, at the next contest, and leave them exactly where
they were before.

In order to secure the 'most representative band' for that particluar
bandroom - ie the most regular players throughout the year maybe a rule
awarding one or two bonus points for annual attandance would be of more
benefit.  Most contests seem to be won or lost on only a couple of points so
it would give a more competitive edge to a band who can secure 'bums on
seats' all year round - not just at the 'points mean prizes' contests.

......Just a thought, and please ALL don't forget, 'rules is rules', whether
it's banding or not, how would we feel if we went to a big contest and the
SAME principal cornet played with every band in a section as he just stayed
on the platform all day 'cause there was no such rule and everyone tipped
him a tenner ????

Chris Stephenson