Contesting Advice

Hi All.

At our recent AGM, we, Weymouth Concert Brass decided we would like to
go Contesting. Very few of our members have ever contested before so
this could prove to be a fairly steep  learning curve. I have been
'volunteered' to be Contest Secretary so the ball is in my court. I am
seeking the advice of any listees who themselves may have organised
their band into  contesting mode. Firstly I need information regarding
forthcoming contests that are not  too far from Weymouth. No decision
has yet been made as to whether we prefer 'Own Choice' or a set piece,
so the field is wide open. How do I arrange for  our band members to be
registered, and with whom. I'm sure there are many pitfalls for me to
fall into, so any advice would be gratefully received. Rather than
clutter up this valuable space more than I already have done, I would
suggest that any suggestions or advice be sent to me off list at
mickotter@xxxxxxxxxxx . For the record, we are I would think an average
4th Section Band with just about 23/24 players. Black Dyke don't need to
worry, but we enjoy what we do.
Thanks in anticipation,
Mick Otter,
Weymouth Concert Brass.