Re: Vibrato

In message <77.10b3ff72.27cb95f9@xxxxxxx>, TheAcrobat8@xxxxxxx writes

>Dear All!!!
>
>      As a Trombonist, and at the moment I'm sorting out a few Solo's to play
>in concerts I have been given advise by a few people that vibrato should be
>played using the slide and not through the mouthpiece?
>Please help, Best wishes ROB

As a rule, Trombone vibrato in the brass band is uncalled for; the
Trombone's role is very often to simply put an edge on the soft
homogeneity of the rest of the band. However, you're talking about solos
- how you produce the wobble is not of great importance (although a good
slide vibrato will give a much more Tommy Dorsey (for example) type
sound - think 'Getting Sentimental Over You'); where it goes counts for
much more. Less is very often more - one popular formula is to restrict
any vibrato to the last third of a note, although exceptions often
apply. Unless you're playing a real ballady type solo, I'd recommend
that you just not bother with it - it'll make a refreshing change from
all those players who wibble their way through every note on their
parts.

Dave