Re: Owning instruments

I think these are very valid points - Every bone I've had i've treated with
the utmost care and respect - Down to bathing, Polishing, greasing, oiling
and "anti-bashing against the player infronts chair", whereas I've seen band
instruments who's players treat them worse than i'd expect them to treat
their excreted materials.  There's not much a band can do to make someone
take care of the instrument, but I don't think enough steps are taken.  But,
as to the cornet\cheaper\more own-owned, I think that it will be more
experienced players that have their own instruments - eg. Second cornet up,
better bass players, 1st and 2nd horn, 1st and bass troms.  The only people
who should expect the band to supply instruments is the percs.

Youth Brass don't have many band instruments - in fact i think they are more
like spares - if someone's own breaks then they use that.

Don't shoot me,

Mike Larwood
Principal Trombone
Youth Brass 2000