Re: Owning instruments

Tenor trombones might be, but bass trombones most definitely are not! :-)

Incidentally, putting my lawyers hat on for a moment, you would probably be
unable to enforce this clause should you ever need to.  Firstly, minors
cannot contract in any event, and secondly, this clause sounds like it would
be unenforceable pursuant to the Unfair Contract Terms Act and regulations.

But it sounds like it does the job in preventing the problems in the first
place...

Shelley

>Hi,
>
>Aren't Trombones cheaper than cornets? Straight tenor
>is relatively inexpensive, and you'll get a Conn 88h
>for roughly the same price as a good cornet. I my
>experience trombone players tend to own their own,
>partly because they also tend to get gigs in jazz
>bands, orchestras etc. However, I do know a few cornet
>players with their own trumpets, for similar reasons.
>
>On the subject of looking after instruments, in our
>band we sign for our instruments. It's a legally
>binding form that states if the instrument is damaged
>in any way, no matter how slightly, you will be held
>liable for up to and beyond the cost of a new one. In
>the 4(?) years its been in place, there have been no
>seized slides,valve caps, no dents or damage. We went
>from going to a repair man every few weeks to once
>every few years. Realistically, only in the case of
>pure stupidity and carelessness of epic proportions
>would we fine anyone any amount, but if you have kids
>in the band, try sending that home to parents, and
>then see how well the instrument is looked after;-)
>

>--

sponsors
vetted