Re: Vibrato

In message <002701c0a1be$64cd2cc0$0400a8c0@MikeLarwood>, Mike Larwood
<mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>I'm sorry dave, but I disagree big-style.  I have played many pieces which
>sound completely flat and dull without spoonfuls of vibrato on it.  Thinking
>more of supporting parts.

Big vibrato on background Trombone parts? Well, there's the intonation
issues - using the slide vibrato you advocate, you're basically pushing
the note in and out of tune either way. Only a tip-top section can do
this consistently together (if they don't, it really crunches), and even
then the resulting sound is a bit weird. Rather like when you play a
chord on an electronic keyboard, then hold it down while you play with
the pitch bend button.
Then there's the question of taste - full band big-stylee vibrato is a
very old-fashioned technique. Haven't brass bands as a movement moved
away from this as rather musically crass? Of course some exceptions
apply, but the status quo is very much against it.

>Also, as a trombonist, i really hate being told that trombones are
>'supporting' instruments.

I didn't say that. I said "the Trombone's role is very often to simply
put an edge on the soft homogeneity of the rest of the band". Similarly,
you could say "the Basses' role is very often to simply provide a solid
broad-sounding harmonic foundation for the rest of the band". Not the
same thing as saying that Trombones (or Basses) are 'supporting'
instruments. I'm a Trombonist too; I wouldn't do it if I did nothing but
support!

>This is complete rubbish.  I am occasionally
>completely without a bone section except me, and a great big hole appears in
>the piece - chords don't fit and you don't get any good harmonies.

Well obviously; you don't usually score for an ensemble while also
planning the scoring so that some parts can be left out.

>Supporting instruments are OPTIONAL, which a trombone is not.

What's your definition of a supporting instrument? It seems to be rather
out of kilter with mine, which would go something like "A part (or
section of one) which is not the primary focus of the audience's
attention at that point in time". Note that a part can be (and in all
probability will be) both supporting and soloistic at different times.
It can even be both at the same time.

>Down to vibrato, usually I would use slide vib because it is much more
>flexible - you can time it properly, set how much you want and so on.  On
>the longer notes, maybe you'd like to try slowly accelerating the vib from
>really slow to an andante style pace...

It's all a matter of taste - if you're playing something written for Don
Lusher or someone similar, this cheesy vib will work nicely. If you're
playing something more martial - some Hindemith or something - it will
distract.

Dave