RE: Owning instruments/Excreta

Isn't there also a sense that playing a brass instrument is more like a long term relationship than just something to blow.  I mean that you get used to the tone qualities and intonation of an instrument that you play over long periods of time.  Of course, that long-term 'ness' can take place with a band owned instrument, but only if you stay with the same band!

I think that the observation that trombone players are more likely to play in other types of ensemble is probably very significant.  How many cornet players use a band cornet but own their own trumpet?

Daniel Sheard

(ex trombone Broseley Brass, now bandless....)