Re: Owning instruments/Excreta

The following players in our band (Clydebank Burgh Band in Scotland) own
their own instruments:

Soprano
2x Solo Cornet
Rep
1x 2nd Cornet
2x 3rd Cornet
Flugel (Me)
Solo Horn
1st Horn
1x Euph
1x Baritone
3x Trombones
1x Eb Bass

I think this is mostly a result of people understanding a couple of years
ago that the band was nearly broke, so couldn't afford new instruments. A
few of us bought instruments within a couple of months of each other, and it
made a huge difference to the overall band sound. I think it is unfair to
expect people to buy their own instruments - especially the bigger
instruments, but sometimes the band cannot supply a decent one. If you enjoy
your hobby enough you will buy the equipment, but beginners cannot be
expected to shell out a few thousand for a tuba when they don't know how
they'll get along playing. Some of our band basses are about 30 years old,
and I suspect some of the cornets are pretty close to that age too! If the
band supplied a better flugel than mine I'd use it, but because I have my
own our junior band (who are really beginners) get an extra instrument to
use.

Kirsty McCafferty

Flugel at Clydebank Burgh Band
www.burghband.fsnet.co.uk