Re: Owning instruments

Steve Larwood wrote...
I bet it could be written in such a way it was fair though.

As far as English law is concerned, isn't the point that you leave the
plaintiff in the position he/she would have been in had the damage not
occurred?  i.e. you could enforce a contract making people liable for
putting damage right, but it would be unfair to make them liable to replace
the whole thing if they say scratched the (replaceable) first valve slide.
Which would be much more humane than "you denta da horn, you buya da new
one"?

Jud
PS I love my new band-owned Courtois flugel more than my ancient teddy bear
(sorry Peter Bear) and look after it with metaphorical kid gloves.
PPS aren't we missing the point that banding has its roots in "working
class" areas - whose players would not be expected to have the money to
supply their own instruments?
Most of our members use the band's kit.  Some have their own... some have
their own but use the band's!  What about e.g. the family of four that play
with our band - is the breadwinner expected to provide FOUR top flight
cornets? Our band is accessible to all - not just those with 1-4 grand to
spare.  Isn't that a condition of lottery funding?
PPPS yes I have just got back from the area ...can you tell?