Re: Owning instruments

>What does everyone think- should players
>be happy to move around instruments 'for the good of the band'?
>Replies awaited with interest!

### well I'm rather new to brass/concert band playing and I waited till I'd
been back to where I used to live to pick up my alto sax before daring to
present myself at the local band practice here in the north of France. I
presumed one had to own one's own instrument...
At the first practice I discovered that there were already 5 alto saxes in
the band so I asked the boss at the end of the rehearsal if he prefered me
to play another instrument... It turned out that the band had bought a
euphonium the previous year to be played by a young chap who'd since gone
off to live in Brittany. It looked so fine in its brand new box that I
immediately said I'd try it...
I've since joined another band too in my own village (in the case of
conflict between engagements I made it clear that I would be obliged to
choose my first band - it is after all their instrument). Would you believe
that I now play my bass guitar in all the "swingy" numbers in that band and
euphonium in all the "serious" pieces.
That may add a little oil to the fire of the discussion you asked for.
I should say that I have just passed 60 and that I have spent my life
learning one instrument after another, all self (and badly) taught - so I
don't really hold this out as a serious way of going about things. My real
answer to your question is, "no, stick to your instrument and try to
achieve the highest level you possibly can" - the "jack of all trades" (me)
is master of none - though he does enjoy life...
A little word about bands in France from my short experience.
Here in the North I was amazed at the number of bands which exist. In the
south where I have lived for the past 30 years I hardly ever heard about
brass/concert bands. I played at a concert a couple of months back where 6
or 7 bands played one after another in a small village church. All the
bands came from villages within a radius of 15 miles and the concert was
held to try to raise funds to restart the band in the village in question!
Financial help comes from the region which is heavily involved in cultural
events, but the main financing comes from the local village town hall which
makes its local band quite a priority.
Keith Braithwaite