Re: Trombone mouthpieces

Please read my posting again - I said that they were flat ie.  it was not
possible to  raise the pitch high enough to match other players even with
the slide all the way in. Having taught trombone for 20 years I know it is
not excusable to play out of tune; it is however not unknown for an
instrument to be built flat or even sound flat to the less experienced
player (due to it's timbre).
If you are happy with the Courtois then good luck to you - there are enough
people buying them; I just added my personal opinion (which I stand by!)
I currently play a Rath R4F which I have had for a year and still not found
anything to complain about. Prior to that I played an Elkhart Conn 8H for
about 20 years; I still have it and it still blows like a dream. I have used
a Bach 5G with stage 1 bored out throat and slightly altered rim for 23
years in all my large bores (8 addresses, 2 wives but only the one
mouthpiece!!); the extra effort and practice required being worth it for the
sound it makes.  Sometimes use a 4G for lower (3rd. bone) parts but not
often.
Tonight I played Dream of Gerontius and last night I played Carmina Burana,
both with the Rath; I could not imagine doing either gig on a Courtois.
Purely my own opiniated thoughts, and no offence ever intended - even to Mr
Courtois!!

Gareth Dunley

Old trombonists never die
They just    s  l  i  d  e    a  w  a  y!!

We all have the right to freedom of speech, just as we all have the right
not to listen!