Re: North West Area

Hi there listees,

I was in the hall waiting for the top section to start and happened to catch the
results for the 4th section.  I can honestly say that I have never heard such
scathing comments come from any judge in any section in my life before!  The
judge was shuffling from foot to foot trying to compose himself and seemed
completely at a loss as to what to say.  From 19 bands he thought not one of
them had a good start, the dance sounded more like a clog dance than a Morris
dance and the tuning and intonation was awful.

I felt sorry and embarrassed for all competitors and conductors to have been
slagged off in such a manner.  Surely it would not have been to much to have
found some positive note of encouragement to have left them with!  4th section
banding, with great respect, is the 'entry' level of contesting - if they were
all perfectly in tune and never missed a note they would all be further up the
sections.

As it happens, I was sat just in front of an extremely famous and well respected
adjudicator of many years experience and when it was all over, the adjudicator
of the day came up to him, expecting a pat on the back I suspect, but was left
in no doubt as to what he thought about his results.  I will not break a
confidence and reveal the mans name but can reveal that after he had heard the
judges comments he told him he was expecting the points to be in '....the 160's
not the 180's'  I think he went away suitably humbled.

Colin Randle.

P.S.  Well done Faireys - Fodens and Leyland, three great performances, plus a
real refreshing and livewire performance from Freckleton - a great day out.

P.S.S. - I was wondering if, now that Fodens are not connected to any sponsor at
the moment, they will be after a new set of uniforms to reflect their new found
freedom - it's just that it seems that just one or two jackets were ever so
slightly ill fitting, particularly on 2nd. baritone!!!!!!