Vibrato

Last night after rehearsal, over a lemonade or two in the RBL, we got
round to discussing the production of Vib.

Quite apart from the seperate issue of how desirable it is or isnt in
a Brass Band, there developed two camps.  Those who think Vib is best
produced from the Diaphragm, and those who think it best produced from
the chops (lower mandible).  Im ignoring for the moment, the
opportunities afforded to the sludge-pumpers by their hardware and
that has been discussed here recently.

I hadnt thought about it before, but on closer inspection in my case I
find it depends.  Im not clear why it happens at my Chops or my
diaphragm, it just appears to vary on the type of solo/exposure being
played at the time.  As a generalisation in last night's debate,
Diaphragm supporters tended to be lower brass and chops tended to be
Cornets.

Im sure there are clear guidelines on this topic and I for one would
be keen to hear your views. Its an area I think I ought to know more
about, and given the wide views on the topic last night I guess Im not
alone.   As an aside, my son reckons my Jowls flap when I produce
heavy vib from my chops.  (Thanks Mike!)  Adds to the whole
visual/audial experience I reckon...<vbg>

Steve Larwood, Euph
Melbourne Town Band http://www.mtb-brassband.com