RE: North west Area 4th section

Simon wrote:
> At the end of the contest, each band would then receive a cassette
> tape of it's performance, with the remarks of the adjudicator
> over the top of the playing, a marks deduction sheet, and would then
be
> able to see where the marks were deducted, and hear why.

We have a system similar to that down here in OZ.  No specific
deduction sheet, just taped comments over the playing.  Its always
great to listen afterward to a tape of our performance with the judges
comments (and ours) over a tinnie or three (nuff said).

However our biggest gripe is usually when the comments are all just
too pleasant and complimentary, like "lovely sound"  "well done" "nice
playing here" "thank you a great performance" etc. and the band comes
absolutely nowhere.  In other words, what did we do wrong...or, what
in his/her opinion should we have done better to have earned a higher
placing.

Thats not always the case of course, but unless a judge is prepared to
point out what you could have done better, even at the risk of
offending, then whats the value of their comments.

Naturally I'm not condoning scathing remarks about the performances at
any level - as mentioned  elsewher, judges comments should be
particularly encouraging toward the lower grades.  However higher
grade bands deserve and require accurate and informed criticism
because they can take it, and in fact they need it in order to effect
any improvement.

Mind you, in the end its still only one or two or three person(s)
opinion(s) - right?

Cheers,
Roy,
Principal Eupho, Greater Dandenong Band,
Melbourne, VIC, Australia.
www.centurynova.com.au/greaterdandenongband/