Re: Adjudicators

Shelley Hill wrote:

"The adjudicator (Mr Brownbill) admitted in his comments afterwards that he
was completely unfamiliar with the piece ('The Undaunted')."

I don't know the gentleman concerned and do not wish to criticise him at
all, but what the hell is he doing adjudicating a contest piece with which
he is not familiar. He has accepted a job (even if the pay is a pittance)
and should carry it out with all due professionalism. The least I would
expect from an adjudicator of a set piece is that he knows the work as well
as any of the competitors.
I have been involved in quite a few odd results over the years, and think it
is about time that the whole issue of contesting was reviewed. Musicianship
seems to be neglected in exchange for technical ability - you program a
computer to play music more accurately than any human, but it  will never be
a real musician!
In the meantime I can't wait to see how we get on at the Welsh regionals in
Swansea; the 4th. section piece leaves it so open! I await the comments and
results with interest!