Re: Adjudicators

Dear list
The only response I have to this thread is that the detractors of the
adjudicators should actually put their money where their mouths
are and have a go at adjudication!

I adjudicated a small solo and quartet contest in Oxford last year
(the first time I have ever done so) and I have to say that I was
amazed at how difficult the job is. I left feeling absolutely shattered,
having listened to, written comments for, and placed 87 different
performances. Whilst an adjudicator in a full band contest would
almost certainly never have to listen to so much music, the level of
concentration required for each performance is so much greater.

After my experience, I always said I would never question an
adjudicators opinion again. I listened to most of the bands that
played in the 3rd section at Stevenage on Saturday, and whilst I
didn't entirely agree with the final placings, it wasn't my decision to
make (thankfully!).

There's always going to be a disgruntled loser - it's inevitable as not
everybody can win, and after several weeks of living the test piece
its very disappointing not to do better - I know, I've been there too.
But you either have to try to better next time, and learn from the
experience, or decide not to enter the contest again - contesting
isn't obligatory (even though I am very pro-contests), and it's really
only a bit of fun and an enjoyable (hopefully!) day out!

Best wishes
Dave
****

David Roberts