Re: In Defence of Malcolm Brownbill

I had the pleasure of playing under the baton of Malcolm Brownbill for most of my playing years. If there is one person worthy of "sitting in the box" and passing a fair and honest assesment of a bands performance it is Malcolm. His knowledge and preparation for any musical event is second to none. He is one of the most respected musicians in the brass band world and his integrity is impecable.

I too have been victim of some strange results at contests and it can leave a bitter taste for a few hours after the results are given. However I believe that every adjudicator gives his honest opinion based on the criteria that he sees is important for the piece concerned.

Let us once again not loose sight of what playing in a band is all about. "To perform music for our own enjoyment while entertaining those that wish to listen".

Winning contests is great but surely not the primary objective of being a bandsperson.

The comeraderie that abounds within our movement is what makes it special. So please no more moaning and bitching about contest results, it's such a small part of what playing in a band is all about.

Tony Hodgetts
Ex Bedford Leigh - Baritone
www.bedfordband.co.uk