Adjudicating

Hi

I tend to agree with the two previous posts regarding the BASBWE festival.
Having only played in brass band contests previously, two years ago I
decided to join the local wind band, and every 2 years they enter the
festival, which is run on a similar basis to the regional contests, trying
to qualify for the finals in Manchester.

The adjudicators sit very close to the bands (in Warrington anyway), with
one talking into a dictaphone as you play with the other writing his remarks
on a crit sheet. I thought this system was excellent, as you could hear
exactly how the band played and what the adjudicators thought of you. In bb
contests many people seem to have distorted views of how their band actually
played, hence the reason for the latest criticism of the adjudicators at the
regionals. At least if it was recorded, they would realise that actually,
yes, maybe the adjudicator was right. Having comments over the performance
really does provide a valuable insight for the players and the MD, who can
all see what mistakes were made, where they need to improve, and whether
they actually deserved to qualify.

Maybe something similar should be introduced. Performances do not have to be
professionally recorded, and it's good to hear how your band played. There
have been many times when I've come off a stage after a contest not 100%
sure how my band have done, and the results and comments have at times
surprised me.

To those people who do not agree with their bands placing, maybe your bands
did play well. But how many of you actually went into the hall to hear the
rest of the bands' performances, instead of going to the bar? Don't
adjudicators base their points on the performances of all of the bands, not
just each bands own performance?(Which is where BASBWE again differs)

Cheers,

Karl
Wirral Brass Ensemble
Wirral Community Wind Band