Re: New Grading System

But if in the 5th contest you were comfortably beaten by a band who did not
enter the other 4, who deserves to go up?

Grading should be on the area contest only - it's the only way to ensure
that you are comparing like with like.  However, I do believe there is too
little movement in the lower sections - the number of bands
promoted/relegated should be more than at present, and the winning band at
the area should get promotion automatically (who cares is it was a rogue
result - they won, that's the point of the thing).

Whilst we're talking of better ways of doing things - area contests are a
nightmare - why don't the individual association contests act as a qualifier
for the Regionals - you could halve the number of bands at the areas, making
the day manageable for audience and adjudicator alike, and sparing the 4th
section bands the 5am start?

And then we could lose the box and the bucket, and have variable numbers in
the bands, and modern uniforms, own choice test pieces, term-time
registrations for students, trained adjudicators, sensible use of vibrato,
freedom of interpretation, criteria for adjudications, concert programmes
that vary occasionally, or even conductors who have a vague clue about what
they are doing instead of driving their band into the ground by beating
quavers in an allegro.

Good god - just think - it would be like....well.....   music.

Cheers
Mac

---
MD - University of Warwick Band