RE: London Marathon

What a sad statement! "well it wasn't going to be a bass player was it!"

Here's the "Tubby Tuba" syndrome again, categorising someone based on looks
or what they play. Yes, i've taken a bit of personal offence to this
comment. Not that I can run a marathon or any long distance myself. In my
band here, we have a tuba player who quite often runs half marathons. Not
the full one I can almost hear people saying now ;) Maybe in his hey day he
could have done a complete marathon, but considering he was 63 when he ran a
half about 2 years ago.....

My point is don't categorise anyone. Tongue in cheek maybe, but be careful
about it.

It's bad enought tuba players have to play twice as good as smaller
instruments to get competition and concert recognition. When musical
directors and other people ask tuba solists to "dance around" while playing
their solo, or try to ham it up by acting if the soloist is taking too much
time in a cadenza, it really is degrading. I've had this happen to myself
and seen it happen to others. How can someone disply their artistry/musical
talent for what it's worth, when it's covered with trivial acting or
whatever, based on the instrument they play? Michael Lind, Steve Sykes,
Partick Stewart, John Fletcher, Roger Bobo, Patrick Harrild plus many more
can play Carnival of Venice, The Swan and more, just as well if not better
that trumpets, cornets, violins and so on.

This message isn't for the people who know this, but the majority of others
who don't. While it will always be an uphill battle for us tuba players,
rest assured I (we) will fight all the way!

**hopping off soap box**

Not much relevance to running a marathon, but the negative assumption about
tuba players was made non the less (even though it might have been tongue in
cheek). I'm not angry, just standing up for myself. :)

Steve, just a little offence taken, not worth worrying about!

Take care

John Szkutko
www.pullmyfinger.com.au

Subject: London Marathon

One of our cornet players is running the London Marathon this year (well
it was'nt going to be a bass player was it !) and we are playing at St
Catherines Dock during the race.

How many bandsman could run a marathon ?

Are Cornet players naturally fitter/leaner than Trombone players ?

Are playing in a band and keeping fit mutually incompatable ?

If anyone is interested in a day outat the race - and maybe a blow as
well -(we are short of a Trom, Euph and Bass)  please mail me off list.