Re: New Grading System

I'm sure most bands have been there before, gone to a contest, won it, and
found that the prize money is less than the cost for taking part.

I have always looked at contests as being the best way a band can improve
itself.

If each player learns a little bit more about balance, intonation and some
tricky fingerings (or slide positions) the band will have improved another
step.

The result is that as well as improving the quality of the players, it also
increases their contest experience, and 'bad-days' become fewer and fewer.

Certainly from my point of view, the prize money is not as important as the
musical benefits.

Andy G
Flugel
Bandmaster