RE: New Grading System

Colin,

I feel banding is not about making 'economic sense', if it was few bands
would exist - it was tried many years ago when a band did turn professional
(my mind is hazy to the name but I could find out if you like), but did not
last very long. Banding to my mind is about furthering ones own playing
ability, working as part of a team and producing music for all to enjoy;
audience and players alike.

Banding is a hobby and as with most hobbies it costs money, however if your
individual and collective playing can be improved this increases both your,
and the audiences, enjoyment of your collective efforts. Is this not worth
striving for?

I realise that cost is a major factor in deciding the cost of putting on
concerts and how many contests to enter but if more bands could see the
benefit of all the countless hours rehearsing toward a contest and not just
see the 'singular opinion of one man' but say 'wow haven't we improved - it
was not a waste of time but a valuable exercise' then more bands will play
to a much higher standard.

To conclude, it would be a shame if all conductors only entered contests for
the 'glory' of winning or the need for prize money or just to get points.
Surely contests are a means of helping bands to improve their playing
standards regardless.

David Copley