Contesting..we was robbed !

Do results really matter?

It would be good to remember or heritage.......

We in the UK have in Brass Bands and the banding movement arguably the
highest standard of amateur music making in the world.
How was this achieved.......

Contest's and competition have been the centre of the movement from its very
earliest origins. I believe the majority of bandsmen continue to play to
improve and competition helps achieve this by providing new challenges not
only to a band but to the individuals that make up the band. I also believe
that it is not the adjudicators remarks or the position a band is placed but
the listening to of other bands that can help individuals improve most.
We all know a good performance when we hear it........
and we can all learn from not such a good performance.......

What is sad however is that all to often we don't listen to the other bands
properly or even bother to listen at all.....
We complain at empty halls, we complain at bad results (whatever they are)
and were often to quick to get off down the pub or into the bar......and stay
there.
Isn't it about time we took less interest in one man's opinion and started to
adjudicate each others performances, offering constructive criticism or
praise to each other.

The contest audiences of the past where not joe public but other bandsmen and
the judgement of the quality of performance came from one's peers, who where
informed, and who had actually listened to it. This should be the type of
competition environment we should strive to return too.

Let the adjudicators have their opinions......but as a conductor and player
the best adjudication I would want to hear is from the members of other
competing bands. YOU WERE ROBBED.

Boyd Purser